Monday, June 23, 2014

Three weeks? Really?

Has it really been that long since I last  posted?  Crazy.  I know we've eaten since then and am almost certain I've photographed food on a number of occasions since early June.  What's my excuse?  I've returned to the world of work.  Yup, caving to the eternal, unending, ceaseless (I may be overstating just a bit...) pressure of my handsome husband to actually bring in money as opposed to just spending it, I took the HR position offered at Target back in April.

I'm only working four hours a day (but that's 20 hours a week!  How ever will I handle it?) but I'm using the 10 a.m. start time as impetus to haul my sorry self to the gym every morning.  Reality?  I've not been EVERY day, but most.

I digress.  My focus here is to be food and I'm talking about non-food items.  On a food note, however, I heard yet another query, posed with absolute unbelief in the speakers' voice, regarding our food choices.  "Don't you ever want to have something besides a plate full of vegetables?"  I had to respond that, actually, we eat so much more than just "a plate full of vegetables."  I began describing the variety of grains and greens we eat when I noticed my listener's eyes glaze over...and gave up.

But back to food...I had yet another meltdown Saturday.  I say 'yet another' because I've experienced more than two moments fraught with high emotion since I arrived days before the tornado.  Meltdown aside, I used my emotional state and excess energy to create the best potato salad I've had in 20 years.  Seriously.

My former father in-law hailed from nearby Benton, AR.  His potato salad was stuffed with bacon - real bacon - and bacon grease.  Oh goodness but it was delicious, creamy, rich and crunchy with the unmistakable flavor of bacon (and bacon grease.)  Since then I've tried several times to recreate it with limited success.  Well, actually, no success.  Oh, I've had my Truffled Potato Salad victories and Mama's Potato Salad successes but nothing close to Bob Clark's.  The best.

This, however, came close.  In fact, Art says it's the best he's ever had.  Ever.  That's a big word coming from him.  Caribbean Sweet Potato Salad begins with, well, obviously, sweet potatoes but combines Russet potatoes AND fat-free sour cream.  I feel almost virtuous crafting potato salad that's flavorful with something as relatively healthy as a sweet potato.

Sun Setting over Lake Ouachita
Moments before, (or after, I forget) my meltdown, we were invited to join our friends Mark and Maria for the afternoon on Lake Ouachita (Wah-chi-tah).  The lake was wonderful and the afternoon was splendid.  While it was humid, once the boat picked up speed it was perfect.  As the afternoon wound down, we shared lunch/dinner.

And, as we're not vegetarian nazis, we served Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Avocado sandwiches with the Caribbean Sweet Potato Salad this entire post was to be about...
Non-Vegetarian-Nazi BLTA's and BEST Caribbean Potato Salad





The sandwich ingredients were prepped before we left (with fresh-from-the-farmers-market-tomatoes -- YUM).  Sammies were assembled at the lake and served alongside the salad.  As the sun set, we marveled at the beauty that is Arkansas and discussed the menu plan for July 4th at Lake Something-or-Other.    Maybe Arkansas isn't quite as bad as it appears at times...



Best Caribbean Sweet Potato Salad
6 servings

Ingredients

  • 2 sweet potatos, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
  • 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

  • 1/4 cup light mayonnaise

  • 1/4 cup light sour cream

  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

  • 1 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste

  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions

  • 1/2 cup chopped celery

  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
1.     Place potatoes in two separate saucepans and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn heat to medium-low. Cover, and cook until tender but still firm, 12 to 14 minutes for sweet potatoes, and 10 to 12 minutes for white potatoes. Drain and place in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with vinegar, and cool.
2.     To make the dressing, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, and curry powder in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3.     Mix the green onions, celery, and cilantro with the potatoes. Pour the dressing over the potato mixture, and toss to evenly coat vegetables. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving to let flavors blend. 







1 comment:

  1. Looks good! Although I think Bob Clark's sounds pretty amazing! Can't go wrong with bacon (or bacon grease!)!

    ReplyDelete